St. Anne's

St. Anne's is a Church of England parish church in the diocese of Birmingham, located on Park Hill, Moseley, Birmingham, England. It was built in 1874 and the present organ was constructed by Brindley and Foster of Sheffield in 1907, with significant modifications by Nicholson of Malvern in 1984. The organ now has thirty speaking stops, two sixty-one note manuals, a thirty-note concave radiating pedalboard, and is fully functional.

The St. Anne's organ was re-recorded, on location in 2009, by Milan Digital Audio (the organ was originally recorded in 2001 for Hauptwerk v.1 by Hauptwerk's developer Martin Dyde) for Hauptwerk 4 in 32-bit 96 kHz. The sample recordings are now longer and in stereo and have an overall much higher quality and fidelity than the previous version bringing a true sound impression of the original organ to your home or studio. The final released version features a 24-bit 44.1 kHz sample resolution and multiple release samples as well as multiple loops per note.

The first organ in St. Anne's was a small chamber by the respected firm of J. C. Lewis of London, whose pipework was later incorporated into the current instrument.

The current instrument was commissioned from Brindley & Foster of Sheffield in 1906 by the Rev. John Hatton Jones and completed in 1907; a two-manual and pedal instrument with pneumatic action and manual crank-operated blowing.

An electric blower was installed in 1921 and the pneumatic action on the manual divisions replaced by Harris of Birmingham after wartime bomb damage in 1940. Some cleaning and re-regulation was undertaken in 1954, and again in 1969, the latter by Nicholson & Co. of Malven and including some tonal re-design and additional pipework. Electric actions replaced the electro-pneumatic in 1984, and the combination action was made adjustable by the pictured switchboard, along with various other maintenance and improvements to the console, again by Nicholson. In 1989 Nicholson replaced the original Brindley & Foster slider-less chests with electric slider chests and several additional reed ranks were installed.